Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sadie's First Colorado Bath

Those of you that knew me and Sadie in AZ, know that I'm obsessive about keeping her clean.  Some people whiten their teeth and clothes, me, I whiten my horse!  

I really had no idea how hard it would be to keep a horse with a white mane and tail clean.  Thankfully I discovered purple shampoo and pretty religiously, once a week Sadie would get her bath and purple shampoo treatment.  Once a week seems like a lot, but anybody that knows horses knows that they have no interest in staying clean! 

I also always enjoy this time with Sadie, she loves being brushed and groomed and aside from getting her face washed and having to be patient while waiting to dry, she has always enjoyed bath day as well. 

It was a beautiful day in AZ when we packed up and headed for Colorado, well into the 90's.  Sadie of course was nice and clean for the journey to her new home.


Paint Mare Trailer Hauling
Making our way from AZ to CO!

We had no idea we would be coming home to this...

Paint Mare Snow Blanket Colorado

Paint Mare Blanket
Look at that mud!  Her normally bright white legs and tail now brown!

With the colder weather and the delays with the barn construction I accepted that Sadie is going to be a rugged Colorado horse and we'd just have to make do with brushing, her natural beauty and an occasional "spa" day :)  


We went on a nice trail ride this morning with Mom and Penny, and as I looked at her slightly yellow mane I decided today was a perfect day for her first Colorado bath!


Paint Mare Trail Horse
Such a perfect day for a ride!


Paint Mare Trail Ride
I know, her mane looks pretty white, but trust me, it wasn't!


 So, we went to work!  


Paint Mare Purple Shampoo
Getting the full purple shampoo treatment!
Paint Mare bath

Paint Mare bath
The best part about Colorado baths is having Grandma here to help!

When I designed the barn it was a high priority to have a wash bay, not only is it perfect for giving baths, but for tacking up and having a safe place to secure the horses.  We still have to add some mats and adjust the cross ties, but we are so pleased with how the barn is coming together.


Sadie LOVED getting pampered today, you could tell she had missed it!  Here she is sparkling clean...look at that white!



Paint Mare Horse





Paint Mare Horse


We'll see how clean she is by morning :)



No comments:

Post a Comment