Wednesday, July 9, 2014

New Discoveries

Sadie Acres sits on about 10 acres just East of the Kiowa Creek, we are very fortunate to have a neighbor that lets us access her land so we can expand our trail rides and enjoy the water.  We've had a lot of rain this summer so we've enjoyed the creek further into the season than normal.

Colorado Kiowa Creek
We had a major rainstorm on May 22nd, this was the most water I had ever seen in the creek!



Dad and I decided to take a lunchtime ride today, we were eager to see how much water was flowing after a decent amount of rain on Monday night.  We took off with our mares and our trusty trail dog, Daisy.

Trail RideTrail Horse Trail Ride

We always see a lot of critters out on the trail, my favorite being the deer.

Mule Deer Colorado

When my niece and nephews visit they love to try and catch polywogs when we have water in the creek. That's typically about it for the water, but today we saw a completely new critter.  My Dad spotted him first in the shallow water.  

Crayfish Colorado Kiowa Creek


It looked like a lobster!  We thought it was a fluke and maybe this guy had somehow escaped a boiling pot somewhere!  A little further up the creek and we spotted another one.

Crayfish Colorado Kiowa Creek

After our ride I got online and did my homework, I discovered that our little visitors are crayfish.  I didn't even know we had those in Colorado!  I guess it was enough rain to bring more than just the polywogs to our little creek this time.  

Sadie and Penny were a bit less enthusiastic about our discovery since the temps were heating up, so we said goodbye to our new crustacean friends and headed back to the barn and back to work!  Not a bad way to spend a lunch break :)










No comments:

Post a Comment